I'm an economist, focusing on questions of energy and resource requirements of economic growth both past and projected, and financing investments for a transition to a low carbon economy. I also have a research interest in the measurement and interpretation of economic inequality. I'm employed as a lecturer (assistant professor) at SOAS University of London, where you can also find my institutional website with contact links.
Isabella M. Weber, Gregor Semieniuk. 2019. American Radical Economists in Mao's China: From Hopes to Disillusionment. Research in the History of Economic Thought and Methodology, forthcoming. (Link is to WP version)
Mariana Mazzucato, Gregor Semieniuk. 2018. Financing renewable energy: Who is financing what and why it matters. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 127:pp.8-22.
Gregor Semieniuk. 2017. Piketty's Elasticity of Substitution: A Critique. Review of Political Economy, 29(1):pp.64-79. (Link is to WP version)
Mariana Mazzucato, Gregor Semieniuk. 2017. Public financing of innovation: new questions. Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 33(1):pp.24-48.
Ellis Scharfenaker, Gregor Semieniuk. 2017. A Statistical Equilibrium Approach to the Distribution of Profit Rates. Metroeconomica, 68(3):pp.465-499. (Link is to WP version)
Ellis Scharfenaker, Gregor Semieniuk. 2015. A Mixture Model for Filtering Firms' Profit Rates. In Sylvia Fruehwirth-Schnatter et al. (ed.) The Contributions of Young Researchers to Bayesian Statistics, Springer Proceedings in Mathematics and Statistics 125, Cham: Springer. (Link is to WP version)
Gregor Semieniuk, Mariana Mazzucato. 2019. Financing Green Growth. In Roger Fouquet (ed.) Handbook on Green Growth, Cheltenham: Elgar (forthcoming). (Link is to WP version)
Gregor Semieniuk, Lance Taylor, Armon Rezai. 2018. A Reply to Michael Grubb. Institute for New Economic Thinking, Commentary.
Gregor Semieniuk, Lance Taylor, Armon Rezai. 2018. The Inconvenient Truth about Climate Change and the Economy. Institute for New Economic Thinking, Commentary.
Mariana Mazzucato, Gregor Semieniuk et al. 2018. Bridging the gap: The role of innovation policy and market creation. In UNEP. Emissions Gap Report 2018. United Nations Environment Programme.
Gregor Semieniuk. 2018. Energy in Economic Growth: Is Faster Growth Greener? SOAS Department of Economics Working Paper 208.
Gregor Semieniuk, Achim Truger, Till van Treeck. 2012. Nothing Learned from the Crisis? Some Remarks on the Stability Programmes 2011-2014 of the Euro Area Governments In Jesper Jespersen and Ove Madsen (ed.) Keynes's General Theory for Today. Cheltenham: Elgar. (Link is to WP version)
Current work in progress considers
(1) The magnitude and timing of decoupling of energy demand from economic growth in 1.5 degree Celsius scenarios in integrated assessment models.
(2) The determinants of renewable energy investments using micro data and distinguishing policy, as well as investor characteristics.
(3) Gathering export-basket composition data for the early 20th century and analyzing revealed comparative advantages and measures of export diversification in this ESRC funded project by Rebuilding Macroeconomics.
(4) A conceptual re-examination of some inequality measures, and new estimates.
(5) Weighted international energy consumption inequality estimates and their interpretation from a maximum entropy perspective.
© Gregor Semieniuk 2019. Last updated 9 Jan 19.